Health and Safety

Health and Safety

What Are Your Duties As A Landlord?

Keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards

Installsmoke alarms on each floor of the property

Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained

complaints procedure

Health Hazards

You should make sure that your property is free from any hazards that could affect the health and safety of anyone in the property. Health hazards can include:

  • Fire Hazards, such as furniture that does not meet the fire safety regulations.
  • Unsafe gas and electrical appliances.
  • Problems with damp and mould.

There are a few different types of Damp and Mould, please see below for more details:

Penetrating Damp

Penetrating damp happens when water gets into your home from outside. As a Landlord, you are responsible for fixing penetrating damp caused by problems such as:

  • A leaking roof, gutter or cracked wall
  • Leaking pipes
  • Rotten window frames

Rising Damp

Rising damp is when moisture beneath the building is soaked up into the bricks or concrete. It's a common problem on the ground floor and basements of older houses.

You must replace any plaster, skirting boards and flooring damaged by rising damp.

To get rid of rising damp, you may also need to install a damp-proof course. If your property has a damp-proof course that isn't working, you must fix the damp-proofing, as well as repairing any damage caused. If the property doesn't already have a damp-proof course, as a Landlord, you won't usually have to get one put in. Obviously if problems persist, caused by rising damp, then you may need to consider putting in a damp-proof course.

Condensation, Damp & Mould

Condensation is the most common form of damp in rented properties. Condensation appears when moisture in the air comes into contact with a cold surface, such as a window or a cold wall. Mould can grow on walls and window frames. Severe mould growth can be a health problem for people with asthma and other chest problems.

Some problems that cause condensation are your responsibility, as a Landlord, to fix. But the way a Tenant heats and uses your property can also cause problems with condensation and mould, or make them worse. There may be things that your Tenant can do to help.

As a Landlord, you should do something to improve the situation of your property, even if your Tenancy Agreement doesn't say anything about it being your responsibility for the living conditions in your property.

For example, you could:

  • Provide a de-humidifier
  • Install ventilation, such as an extractor fan
  • Improve the insulation of the property

If you do not deal with the problem of damp and mould, you could be in breach of contract, which could result in your Tenants taking legal action against you.

Smoke Alarms

As a Landlord, it is your responsibility to provide smoke alarms on every floor of the property. It is your Tenant’s responsibility to ensure that the alarms are well maintained and working, by replacing the batteries.

Please see the Document titled ‘Smoke Alarms’ for a more detailed overview.

Fire Safety

Most private Landlords are responsible for:

  • Installing smoke alarms on each floor of the property
  • Installing carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with a coal fire or wood burning stove
  • Follow fire safety regulations for property in a purpose-built block of flats, or for houses and property adapted into flats

If any furniture is provided with the property, then you must make sure that it meets the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988.

Gas Safety

As a Landlord, you are responsible for keeping gas appliances, provided in your property, in a safe and working order. You must arrange an annual Gas Safety Inspection to be carried out by a registered Gas Safe Engineer. As an agency, we can arrange for this to be carried out every year.

Electrical Safety

As a Landlord, you are also responsible for keeping electrical equipment, such as light switches and sockets, provided in your property, in a safe and working order. Although it is not mandatory, we would advise arranging for a qualified electrical engineer to carry out an electrical safety check. As an agency, we can arrange for this to be carried out every year.

If there are any electrical appliances provided in the property, as a Landlord it is your duty to have those appliances PAT Tested. It is your Tenant’s responsibility to check that any appliances you have provided are in a good safe and working order.

For more information, please visit: &

norgrove norgrove norgrove