Landlord Obligations

Landlord Obligations

What Are Your Obligations As A Landlord?

Keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards

Install smoke alarms on each floor of the property

Make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained

Provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property

Protect your Tenant’s deposit in a Government-approved scheme

Check your Tenant has the right to rent your property if it’s in England

Give your Tenant a copy of the ‘How To Rent’ checklist when they start renting from you

complaints procedure

Health & Safety

You should make sure that your property is free from any hazards that could affect the health and safety of anyone in the property. Health hazards can include:

  • Fire Hazards, such as furniture that does not meet the fire safety regulations.
  • Unsafe gas and electrical appliances.
  • Problems with damp and mould.

Please click here for more detailed overview.

Smoke Alarms

As a Landlord, it is your responsibility to provide smoke alarms on every floor of the property. It is your Tenant’s responsibility to ensure that the alarms are well maintained and working, by replacing the batteries.

Please click here for more detailed overview.

Fire Safety

Most private Landlords are responsible for:

  • Installing smoke alarms on each floor of the property
  • Installing carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with a coal fire or wood burning stove
  • Follow fire safety regulations for property in a purpose-built block of flats, or for houses and property adapted into flats

If any furniture is provided with the property, then you must make sure that it meets the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988.

Gas Safety

As a Landlord, you are responsible for keeping gas appliances, provided in your property, in a safe and working order. You must arrange an annual Gas Safety Inspection to be carried out by a registered Gas Safe Engineer. As an agency, we can arrange for this to be carried out every year.

Electrical Safety

As a Landlord, you are also responsible for keeping electrical equipment, such as light switches and sockets, provided in your property, in a safe and working order. Although it is not mandatory, we would advise arranging for a qualified electrical engineer to carry out an electrical safety check. As an agency, we can arrange for this to be carried out every year.

If there are any electrical appliances provided in the property, as a Landlord it is your duty to have those appliances PAT Tested. It is your Tenant’s responsibility to check that any appliances you have provided are in a good safe and working order.

Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates, or EPCs, are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sold
  • Rented

You must order an EPC for potential Buyers and Tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

An EPC contains:

  • Information about a property’s energy use
  • Typical energy costs
  • Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Protecting Deposits

There are currently three Government-approved schemes available for protecting Tenant’s deposits. They are:

  • Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) - This is the scheme currently used by Norgrove Sales & Lettings
  • Deposit Protection Service (DPS)
  • Mydeposits

As a Landlord, you have to protect your Tenant’s deposit for the whole time they remain a Tenant at the property. If you are using the service of a Letting Agent, your Letting Agent must protect your Tenant’s deposit. Both Landlords and Letting Agents follow the same rules, as a stated below:

  • Once received, you have 30 days to protect your Tenant’s deposit with a Government-approved scheme
  • Inform your Tenant of which scheme you’ve used
  • Provide your Tenant with a certificate of protection and relevant information about the scheme
  • When the Tenancy has ended, you must return the Tenant’s deposit within 10 days of you both agreeing how much the Tenant will get back.
  • If you’re in a dispute with your Tenant, then the deposit will be protected in the scheme until the issue is sorted out.

Right To Rent Check

Before anyone can rent a property in England, a Landlord or Letting Agent must check the immigration status of everyone aged 18 or over who'll be living in the property.

The Prospective Tenants will need to provide their passports, or any other official documents that prove their immigration status. The Landlord or Letting Agent must make copies of the documents and keep the copies safe. Current and expired passports are acceptable documents for British, Irish and EU citizens.

How To Rent Checklist

This is guide for Tenants and Landlords to help them to understand their rights and responsibilities. This should be given to your Tenants at the beginning of their Tenancy. It provides a checklist and more detailed information on each stage of the process, including:

  • What to look out for before renting
  • Living in a rented home
  • What happens at the end of a tenancy?
  • What to do if things go wrong?

Please see the current ‘How To Rent Checklist’.

For more information, please visit:;;;;;

norgrove norgrove norgrove