Landlord Repairs

Landlord Repairs

What Are You Responsible For?

As a Landlord, it is your responsibility to keep the property is a good and livable condition. Any gas and electrical systems must meet specified safety standards.

complaints procedure

What Are You Responsible For?

As a Landlord, you are responsible for most of the repairs to your property. This applies to private, council and housing association Landlords.

Your Landlord responsibilities include maintaining and repairing:

  • The structure and exterior of the building, including the walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows.
  • Sinks, baths, toilets and other sanitary fittings, including pipes and drains.
  • Heating and hot water.
  • Chimneys and ventilation.
  • Electrical wiring.

What Happens If Repairs Aren’t Done Properly?

If you refuse to carry out repairs, Tenants can:

  • Start a claim in the small claims court for repairs under £5,000.
  • In some circumstances, carry out the repairs themselves and deduct the cost from their rent.

If you don’t make repairs to remove hazards, your Tenants can ask the council to inspect the property under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and to take any action that is necessary.

If the council finds serious hazards, it can take enforcement action to make sure the hazard is removed.

When Can You Enter The Property?

You have a legal right to enter your property to inspect it or carry out repairs. You must give your Tenants at least 24 hours’ notice, although immediate access may be possible in emergencies. Your Tenants have the right to stay in the property during the repairs.

What If The Property Is Temporarily Unfit To Live In?

You can ask Tenants to move out during major repairs. Before this happens, you should agree in writing:

  • How long the works will last.
  • The Tenants’ right to return.
  • Details of any alternative accommodation.

You can’t repossess a property to do repairs. However, if you’re planning substantial works, or want to redevelop the property, you can apply to the courts for an order for your tenants to leave. The courts are more likely to grant this if you provide alternative accommodation.

What Happens With Repairs And Charging Rent?

If the repairs are very disruptive, your Tenants may be able to claim a reduction on their rent known as a ‘rent abatement’. This will depend on how much of the property is unusable.

If your property is seriously damaged by a fire, flood or other similar incident, you don’t have to rebuild or renovate it. However, if you do, you can’t charge your Tenants for any repairs made.

You may have the right to increase the rent after carrying out repairs and improvements, depending on the tenancy agreement.

norgrove norgrove norgrove