Spotted A Leak?

What Should You Do If There Is A Fire?

    If you have a water leak, you must contact Severn Trent Water’s Emergency Department on 0800 783 4444.

    You can also report any problem (drain issues, general water supply issues, etc.) through their system, on and they will provide free advice.

complaints procedure

You may have a water leak if:

  • You can hear the sound of running water.
  • You see running water or wet areas.
  • You see a lot of plants growing near pipe work, particularly in dry weather.
  • The water pressure in the property falls

Who Is Responsible For Fixing A Water Leak?

All water companies have a code of practice on leaks. The responsibility for repairing the leak depends on where the leak is.

  • If there’s a leak on your side of the meter, on the public footpath or external stop valve, it’s your responsibility to fix the leak.
  • If it’s the first time you’ve had a leak like this and it’s not too expensive, your water company will usually repair it - although they don’t have to. A cost may be involved for you to pay.
  • If there’s a problem with the water meter, this is the water company’s responsibility.
  • If the leak is due to a damaged water pipe, or if the pipe bursts, responsibility for fixing it depends on which section of the pipe is damaged.

The pipe connecting the mains supply from the water company to your property is called the service pipe. The section of the service pipe running from the mains supply to the boundary of your property is the communication pipe. The rest of the service pipe from the property boundary into the property is known as the supply pipe. The property boundary is usually where the stop valve and water meter are located.